Discover ways to get macOS Sonoma developer beta in your USB thumb drive and use it to put in macOS 14 on a number of Macs with out having to obtain the large macOS file each time.
- A USB thumb drive that’s at the very least 16 GB
- Dependable Web connection in your Mac
- At the very least an hour of free time
The complete course of includes three steps:
- Obtain the macOS Sonoma installer
- Format USB thumb drive as Mac OS Prolonged
- Use Terminal to create a macOS 14 bootable installer
Step 1: Obtain the macOS Sonoma installer
There are just a few simple methods to do that. For instance, when a macOS model is publically out there, you’ll be able to get it from the Mac App Store. However since macOS Sonoma is at present within the developer beta section, you’ll be able to obtain it immediately from Apple’s web site utilizing these steps:
1) Hit this official Apple link to obtain the large 13 GB pkg file. Once you hover the mouse over this hyperlink, you’ll be able to see that it’s from apple.com. By no means obtain such recordsdata from non-Apple web sites.
2) As soon as the huge file is downloaded, double-click it and end the fundamental set up.
After your end the set up, go to your Mac’s Launchpad or the Purposes folder, and you will notice the macOS Sonoma installer right here. It’s known as Set up macOS 14 beta (as at present, it’s within the developer beta stage). Now, transfer to step 2. In case you don’t see it, you’ll be able to’t proceed additional. In that case, strive the above steps once more or use one other methodology (talked about under) to obtain the installer.
In case you’re not profitable in following the above steps, you too can use Terminal to point out, discover, obtain, and set up the installer file. It is a nice methodology to get the most recent macOS installer recordsdata.
Essential: The Terminal methodology solely lists these macOS variations that your Mac is able to operating. And since macOS Sonoma is at present within the developer beta stage, you’ll have to enroll your Mac within the developer program, after which solely Terminal will listing it as a possible possibility.
Right here’s the best way to enroll your Mac:
In case your Mac is on macOS Ventura 13.3 or earlier:
- Log in to Apple’s developer web site and use this official link to obtain the macOS Developer Beta Entry Utility.
- After that, double-click the downloaded macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg file and set up it. Now your Mac is enrolled within the developer program.
In case your Mac is on macOS Ventura 13.4 or later:
- You should utilize the above methodology or just be sure to’re utilizing your developer Apple ID in your Mac.
- In case you don’t have a developer Apple ID, check in to Apple’s developer web page utilizing your normal Apple ID to enroll it. We’ve defined it in our iOS 17 developer beta post. Subsequent, go to System Settings > Basic > Software program Replace > information icon ⓘ subsequent to Beta Updates > choose macOS Sonoma Developer Beta > Finished.
Now that your Mac is efficiently enrolled within the beta program, open Terminal, enter
softwareupdate --list-full-installers and hit the return/enter key. The Terminal will present an inventory of all macOS model installers you’ll be able to obtain and set up in your Mac.
To obtain the macOS Sonoma installer, as soon as once more kind this within the Terminal and hit the return key:
softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 14.0
Clearly, later sooner or later, you’ll be able to change 14.0 to the most recent construct.
Terminal will discover the installer and begin downloading it.
As soon as that’s completed, you will notice the “Set up macOS 14 beta” installer in your Mac’s Launchpad and the Purposes folder. Now you can transfer to the following step.
Right here’s a useful video by Mr. Macintosh explaining the above strategies:
Step 2: Format the USB thumb drive as Mac OS Prolonged
Terminal will robotically format the drive within the subsequent step, but it surely’s beneficial to do it beforehand in order that it’s faster for Terminal and a few random errors don’t fail the complete course of.
1) Join your thumb drive to your Mac.
2) Open Disk Utility and choose this thumb drive.
3) Click on Erase.
4) You may enter any title, because it doesn’t matter and will probably be overwritten by Terminal within the step 3. However I like to recommend naming it Sonoma. This fashion, you received’t need to edit the Terminal command within the subsequent step and may merely copy & paste the command I used.
5) Within the Format field, choose Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled). And if you happen to see Scheme, choose GUID Partition Map.
6) Lastly, click on Erase and ensure it’s profitable. If not, strive erasing it once more.
Step 3: Use Terminal to create a macOS 14 bootable installer
1) Open Terminal in your Mac.
2) Now, enter
sudo /Purposes/Set up macOS 14 Beta.app/Contents/Assets/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Sonoma and hit the enter key.
Observe: If the method fails now or in later steps, take into account going to the Purposes folder in Finder and renaming the Set up macOS 14 beta file to only Sonoma. Subsequent, appropriately change the Terminal command to
sudo /Purposes/Sonoma.app/Contents/Assets/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Sonoma and retry.
3) Enter your Mac’s password and hit the enter key. Once you kind the password in Terminal, it doesn’t present that you simply’re typing.
4) You’ll now see ‘To proceed we have to erase the amount at…’ permission. Sort Y in Terminal and hit the enter key once more.
Click on OK if you happen to see a popup saying, “Terminal wish to entry recordsdata on a detachable quantity.”
Observe: In case you see an “IA app title cookie write failed. The bless of the installer disk failed.” error in Terminal, go to System Settings > Privateness & Safety > Full Disk Entry and activate the swap subsequent to Terminal. After quitting and reopening Terminal, observe the above steps once more.
5) All completed! Now, Terminal will:
- Erase the disk
- Copy important recordsdata
- Copy the macOS RecoveryOS
- Make disk bootable
- Copy important recordsdata to disk
Whereas it occurs, attempt to hold your pc awake and chorus from doing intensive duties. It will guarantee Terminal can work with out points.
It should take a very long time to complete. Bear in mind to not unplug your thumb drive after 100% copying is completed. Relatively, eject it safely solely after you see the “Set up media now out there at…” line in Terminal.
use macOS Sonoma bootable installer
Earlier than you start:
- It is best to know whether your Mac has Apple silicon (M1, M2, and so on.) or an Intel processor. After that, observe the suitable steps under.
- Be sure that your Mac helps macOS Sonoma.
- Whereas putting in macOS from a USB drive, the large macOS file isn’t downloaded from the web. However nonetheless, your Mac should be related to the web to get firmware and different important data.
- Open this iDB put up in your telephone or one other pc and shut down your Mac the place you need to set up macOS Sonoma. Subsequent, observe the steps under.
Right here’s the best way to use a bootable macOS Sonoma Installer in case your Mac has Apple silicon:
1) Plug within the bootable USB drive installer to your Mac.
2) Press the ability button, and proceed urgent it till you see Loading startup choices on the display screen.
3) You’ll now see the out there bootable volumes. Choose the drive with the bootable installer and click on Proceed. Observe the directions within the macOS installer window to put in macOS Sonoma in your Mac.
Right here’s the best way to use a bootable macOS Sonoma Installer in case your Mac has an Intel processor:
1) Plug within the bootable USB drive installer to your Mac.
2) Flip in your Mac and instantly press and maintain the Choice key. Cease urgent the Choice key while you see the black display screen together with your Mac’s out there bootable volumes.
3) Choose the bootable installer drive and press the return key or click on the up arrow.
4) After selecting the language, choose Set up macOS from the Utilities window and click on Proceed. Now, observe together with the onscreen directions.
That is how one can create and use the macOS Sonoma USB installer to get the thrilling new macOS 14 in your Mac.